Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      sweet4
      Participant

Hes taken all the money out of the bank account, well it was merged with our joint account, he knows i haven’t worked for many years and gave up work to look after my (detail removed by Moderator), he has only left a little amount, now its gone into the overdraft, (detail removed by Moderator),expecting him to top up the bank account, but of course that has not happened, all the bills come out ot the joint account, we are both liable for the joint account and the bills, he has bleed me dry, he did not pay the mortgage (detail removed by Moderator), and i will find out (detail removed by Moderator) if he has paid this months mortgage.

sweet4
      Participant

i dont know how to edit this, im trying to find out what this means, him taking the money etc?

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi sweet4,

This is called financial abuse, it’s one method that abusers use to attain and keep control over the person they are abusing. By keeping you short of money, he keeps you in a state of stress and limits your ability to do anything independently. He knows you will have to speak to and rely on him when you need money and this puts him in a position of power. Surviving Economic Abuse is a good resource for more information on this type of abuse.

Take care and keep posting,
      Lisa

sweet4
      Participant

yes that’s exactly what he is doing, so its called Economic Abuse, Oh thanks Lisa

sweet4
      Participant

Hi i am just back from the police station, i really cant believe all this, i contacted the bank, and asked if i can speak to someone to do with Economic Abuse, they have never heard of it, then i said Financial abuse, yes.
      I explained whats been happening, please read above.
      The bank called the police,and told them about the money and the domestic abuse and the bank said he kicked me. omg!!!!! i did not say that, so that has been cleared up, then i went to the supermarket, card not working, tried to withdraw money, nope, called the bank, they blocked my account, incase he took anymore money, the bank left me with no money, so they unblocked it, this has just been awful.Just to advice, please be careful, if anything similar happens to any of you ladies.

StrongLife
      Participant

Financial abuse. I had mounds of bills, mortgage he was not paying, he took out loans unknowingly in my name prior that I did not know – they all got written off due to various domestic violence agencies help and financial controls banks and large companies have.

Please be careful- this may escalate.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content