Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      savingthestars
      Participant

I am trying to find a word that encompass this.

Someone makes it look like something is bad, to make you overlook the bigger bad.

Or someone makes something seem relevant so you miss the bigger picture.

Would you call this bait and switch or is there another way of explaining it?

fizzylem
      Participant

Deflect? A smoke screen? Distract? Cover up? Avert? Not the real issue?

Made me think of an isolated incident – how this can sometimes make his behaviour or what happened seem no big deal, but when we view a string of icidents together the pattern in his behaviour becomes clear – thus we see the abuse. The invisible in plain sight becomes visiable.

savingthestars
      Participant

Yea, I think the comment about string of incidents in a pattern is the closest. Its just… because I saw the string. I went frantic. I was like “look, look, look!!” and of course, he said that i was mentally ill seeing a pattern when these things were very separate.

But, I do wonder if this “pattern” was concocted, so i obsess over it, and look like a mental. And, ignore the bigger picture. That he is actually some master controlling…brain killer. So when i work out what he is actually doing, he can say “well she went look look look over a non thing, made up pattern. Shes prone to this”

Its hard working out which it is. I think it was a smoke screen.

fizzylem
      Participant

When we’re in an abusive relationship its natural to question things only they try to block this, turn it round on us, twist things – manipulate. It means they are not ‘credible witnesses’. Means you can’t believe what he says, he is only saying whatever it is to save his bacon or make it appear this is your fault. The trick here is to not listen STS, to observe only, write down what happens and how he behaves – then eventually you see it for what it is – manipulation tactics and that he is a selfish wicked being. One thing you can be sure of is that he is never motivated by what is in your best interests here, only his own.

Google the Grey Rock Method – helps you to stop reacting and become an observer xx

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content