Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      A.N.Onymous
      Participant

Hi All,
      I have found that music has really helped me to brighten up my days and so I thought I’d share some completely unromantic and upbeat songs that remind me to prioritise myself. If anyone else has suggestions, I’d love to hear them! My favourites right now are:

Sun is Shining – Axwell Ingrosso (This reminds me of the support from all the amazing women on here)

Bakermat – Don’t Want You Back (About moving on from a bad relationship)

Bakermat – Living (About how living is more than surviving)

Candi Stanton – Young Hearts Run Free (About her experience of a dv relationship)

Love Me – Katy Perry (about loving ourselves, they way he should have)

Tiffany
      Participant

I have been listening to a lot of Sia. Top picks are Alive, Titanium, California dreamin’, and The Girl You Lost to Cocaine.

When I had just left I listened to a lot of country. Women in country music do anger so well. I particularly liked Cowboy Casanova, by Carrie Underwood, and Mama’s Broken Heart by Miranda Lambert. I also liked Maddie and Tay’s Shut up and Fish, it made me laugh, and as an outdoorsy kind of woman made me feel like I deserved a man who was similar. My ex was not.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Good post, thanks for sharing these I will have a listen. I often end up sort of frozen throughout the day and the right type of music helps me to feel a bit better. What has helped in particular is:

Tina Turner – What’s love got to do with it (preferably sung while dancing round the room!)
      Jennifer Lopez – Aint your mama (I played this for my ex and he hated it, lol)
      Beyonce – Best thing I never had
      Christina Aguilera – Fighter
      Madonna – The Power of Goodbye
      Schmoyoho – The World can be better – kid president songified
      Voces8 – Underneath the stars

Youtube is so good for this, in fact I think I will have a youtube music listening evening as today has been a difficult day.

duvetday
      Participant

cool thread 🙂
      I rely on music a lot to get me thru the days…
      A song I recently discovered which I find really empowering is Quiet, by Milck, which she wrote about surviving sexual assault.. (link removed by Moderator)
      Tiffany- I also really like Sia 🙂 I have been obsessed with Breathe Me lately…although it’s a very emotional song. Not exactly uplifting but I just find it so powerful and relatable…
      x

Anabela
      Participant

For the past few days Ive been listening to Kesha Praying and Pink Revenge. They lift my spirit!!!!!

iwillbeok
      Participant

My apple music app suggested for me a playlist of “Essential Feminism Songs”!! Hahaha!! So many boosting songs! Faves include –

Roar – Katy Perry
      You don’t own me – Lesley Gore
      Confident – Demi Lovato
      Brave – Sara Bareilles
      None of your business – Salt N Pepa
      Girl on Fire – Alicia Keys/Nicki Minage
      Not ready to make nice – Dixie Chicks

Off to listen to suggestions above.

I so enjoy now, that I can have whatever music playing that I feel like. Kitchen dancing is the best!!

Xx

Dragonfly
      Participant

I love music, I also play piano (something that stopped when I was with him). I’m a blues/rock kind of person. The thing is I had this awful fear that music would remind me of him. However I introduced him to a lot of music so it’s mine if that makes sense. I listen to all kinds of music and dance and sing along (much to the embarrassment of my son 😃). What I find quite funny is he only listened to really depressing music, it was enough to send anyone over the edge lol. So at least I don’t have to endure that anymore.

I love anything by Rory Gallagher.

Starsindarkness
      Participant

Sara Evans- a little bit stronger.

So relatable to me, makes me feel like it’s ok to get just that little bit stronger each day, doesn’t have to happen straight away.

Also Lee Brice- That don’t sound like you.

Starsindarkness
      Participant

& lady Gaga til it happens to you

Anabela
        Participant

I absolutely love this song. Whenever i feel sad, judged, misunderstood i keep listening to it and it makes me feel better!!

iwillbeok
      Participant

Looked up the ones I hadn’t heard before – or didn’t remember hearing aa they weren’t “relevant ” (ha! I see they are now!)

Just came across Dua Lipa’s new song – IDGAF.
      It is great! There is also a really good comment (won’t let me cut & paste) on YouTube with interpretation of the video…

X

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content