Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Camel
      Participant

I’ve read a lot of posts where women refuse to tell their children about the abuse they suffered at the hands of their fathers.

I can understand that no one wants their kids to have to take sides, not wanting to get into the nitty-gritty.

But it seems to me that for every fair mother there is an unfair father who wastes no time in turning his own children against their mother.

I also wonder about the message mothers are passing on to sons and daughters that must surely have an inkling of what’s going (or gone) on. That this is how you treat wives/mothers and they just take it. That women are not meant to go public about abuse.

Is it an option for a mother to tell her children at least that she was treated badly? That despite this she doesn’t want them to take sides (that means his side too!) Can she tell them that a woman who leaves a relationship is not automatically a bad person?

I wonder if saying nothing is truly noble when it could normalise abuse to sons and daughters.

Just my thoughts. I know every situation is different. x

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content