Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      iwillbeok
      Participant

Hi, I have seen calls to donate item (clothing, books, toiletries, toys) to women and children in refuges. I would like some ideas of small things that I could a fair few of to help put a smile on as many women/children’s faces as I can. If there is/was something that could give you a lift, what would it be?

Xx

KIP.
      Participant

Adult colouring books which can hugely reduce stress and if there are kids then mum and kids can all colour together x little worry monsters I got from The Works for £1 each. Mine is on a keyring and I still carry him. Great for dealing with anxiety x he’s furry too so you can rub him lol as well as imagine him carrying your anxiety x

Blackbutterfly
      Participant

Hi,

When I was in refuge I literally had nothing, I was heavily pregnant and had a baby as well, I found that people who donated clothes was a great help along with toys!
      Little bits and bobs like shower gels and that kind of stuff!
      The little day to day thins, that help you feel normal.

Blackbutterfly 🦋

KIP.
      Participant

Pillows to hug. Trauma victims are often given pillows and I found it a tremendous help to hug cushions and pillows. You can get some pillows now that have arms lol. I wonder if hotels would dontate toiletries from their house keeping. Little individual shower gels shampo and conditioner, cotton buds, nail files etc. I might ask my local hotel. Perhaps the refuge is the best place to simply ask what they need.

Goggleeyes
      Participant

I remember when I arrived at refuge with an older child; what we found most comforting our first night was good branded tea ie PG Tips and biscuits selection. It had been a shellshocked kind of day and that was a blessing. Like a comforting hug.

Further enjoyment was had with card games, they’re small and compact. My older child liked comfort snacks ie Pringles, hot chocolate & mini marshmallows, popcorn, etc. Other items enjoyed were local magazines, activity books like word searches, even sticker books & Lego mini figures in blind bags.

Silly little things that made all the difference & brightened the mood.

anotherlife
      Participant

iwillbeok, this is a lovely thought. I was wondering about donating some things recently and wasn’t sure what might be good, apart from clothing. Lovely ideas, I will see what I can think of as a treat and some helpful things. I’m still stuck in a bad situation but I know it must be so hard to have left your home and feel isolated 💗

Twisted Sister
      Participant

There is an option on amazon to choose items to donate to refuges.

Amazon – in the Wishlist section search for Women’s Aid. It will bring you up a list of WA shelters that have a registered Wish List and you can look for one local to you.

The Wish Lists are usually items like toys for children, crockery, bed covers, etc. You can choose something within your budget and it will be delivered direct to the shelter.

These are their wish lists…happy donating to women and children at Christmas!

Twisted Sister
      Participant

I just went onto the wish list for womens aid refuges. Its a shame there aren’t more on there. There’s only about half a dozen, which is a shame as not as likely your local one would be there as its a very easy way of donating.

I was all set to try to get something for my local one.

Goggleeyes
      Participant

Thanks for the Amazon wish list tip! I’ll be looking into it for sure, having been in this position myself I know how important it is and felt so grateful.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content