Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Bamb00zld
      Participant

Any advice on where to start when you want him to leave (due to emotional abuse, n**********c tendancies) exacerbating hidden disabilities.
      (detail removed by moderator). I don’t want to move the kids somewhere and unsettle them but I believe for the sake of our mental health and hidden disabilities we need to not leave with him. No Frank adult conversation about it can occur as I’m to blame for everything, I make it worse and he is infallible. Not to blame and carries on as he pleases. I feel stuck.

Marmalade
      Participant

Hi Bamb00zld,
      Unfortunately it is difficult to get someone out of a jointly owned property in the short term if they refuse to leave. He has a right to occupy and unless there is serious abuse (usually, but not always involving violence) the courts are unlikely to order him to leave.
      The place to start is probably to get some legal advice on your position from a solicitor who practises family law. Some offer a first 30 minutes free consultation. They will be able to set out your options.
      If you are married and intend to start divorce proceedings then the house will be sorted out as part of the divorce. If you are not married then a solicitor can tell you what rights you have to the property and what share you would be entitled to.
      The only way to get a partner out quickly because of abusive behaviour is an occupation order. This is a draconian court order, restricting someone’s rights to occupy their property and only made in serious cases, usually threats of/actual violence/serious abuse causing harm.
      If you have a local DA support agency then you can also contact them for advice as well as a solicitor. The WA chat on this site can signpost you to your local DA agency. The DA agency and a solicitor can advise you on the options available in your particular circumstances. They can also advise you on housing options if you decide to leave.
      Good luck.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content