Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Aphrodite
      Participant

I’m now free, but don’t feel it.
      The years of verbal, bullying, control, emotional, cheating lying, financial and, lately, physical abuse have taken their toll.
      (He was the same with another ex – he’s still manipulating her now).
      The last attack was nearly a month ago. That’s when he got arrested. He was supposed to stay away, but contacted me 2 weeks later to pledge his love and to apologise. I so wanted to believe him, we secretly were together for 4 days (he turned my CCTV off and climbed through my bedroom window to get in and out) but I knew he was manipulating me to drop the charges as he was up for 3 separate counts of assault and court was the week later (detail removed by moderator) Took money from me and the shouting at me also began again, I said I was still scared of him.
      I summoned the courage to ask for help and my friend came to kick him out. He even had the balls to cuddle and kiss me on his way out and say he’d be back later.
      Took the police 2 days to come and take a statement. They arrested him 5 hours later for breach of bail.
      Court day was (detail removed by moderator)

Where’s the justice?
      I feel like he’s laughing at me
      I never got my day in court!
      Why is it defendants have the right to appeal a sentence or punishment, but the victims don’t

I’ve hardly been out the house since the last assault. Not been to work.
      He’s been swordfighting his way round our town, like nothing’s happened and on dating sites – he doesn’t work – chatting up women is his full-time job..
      I can’t save every woman out there

I’m supposed to be going back to work tomorrow (less than a week after court – I only found out the result late (detail removed by moderator), but I don’t feel ready. I have a sick note for another week.
      But if I tell my manager that I won’t be in, they might get funny, probably just tell me to get on with my life…if only it was that easy.

Why does it feel like I’m getting punished…

Dragonfly
      Participant

Hey. I did get my day in court but it was a farce. All he had to do was lie. (detail removed by moderator) OMG. so he won. I cannot appeal but he could’ve if found guilty. I was attacked on the stand by his female solicitor. She abused me in court but is apparently allowed to behave like that.

Took me many months to come to terms with that.

If you need time off work, I did, take it. It’s not something that you recover from over night x

Aphrodite
        Participant

Hi Dragonfly,

Thanks for your reply.
        Gosh, sounds like you had a horrific experience in court. You got abused for being abused. Shocking!!!
        I can imagine my ex would have stated self-defence too, coward that he is.
        The police do all the hard work for the courts to just mess it all up.
        We can’t sleep at night, I wonder if they have trouble…probably not

It makes me so want to do something about the courts and their stupid laws. But I wouldn’t know where to start.

No wonder so many women suffer in silence for years/eternity. Some/most/all of the stories on here have had me in tears.

yh, think I’ll take your advice about work and take my time. I can’t afford it really, but I’ll just have to cut back on other expenses/food ration.

Thanks ever so xx

Ayanna
      Participant

The ex abuser appealed too. I had several days in court and he still received a ridiculously light sentence that did not affect him in any way.
      Work was disgustingly horrible.
      There is no justice.
      We live in a patriarchal system and the goal is to suppress and silence women.
      Men will always win unless women wake up and introduce matriarchy again.

Freedom@friends
      Participant

(detail removed by moderator) It was like a magic word that made him disappear lol.

Aphrodite
        Participant

Thanks for your comment.

Yes, I agree. I am seriously looking into what I can do, like lobbying etc.
        I also aim to fundraise so to bring something positive to the table

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content