Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Janedoeissad
      Participant

The more I think about my dysfunctional (feeling diplomatic today!) relationship, the more angry I get.

Because of him the simplest household job done together is a nightmare. Nothing is ever discussed calmly. It’s always an argument. It’s generally my fault too ( even though I know it’s not!).

Because of him, no trip is enjoyable unless he just so happens to be in a good mood.

Because of him I feel inadequate in most things we do. I rarely feel good enough. Thankfully I have friends who make me feel 100ft tall.

I’m mad that I have to be at someone else’s house to fully relax because he’s filled my head with all sorts of stuff “I’ve not done” so I can’t sit still.

To top it all off I’m really b****y mad because I’m now painfully aware of this abuse cycle, I’ve watched it go full circle in the last two weeks and I just think “I’m a nice person, why can’t you be?”. Surely it’s easier and less stressful to be nice??

Rant over. I’m taking one positive from this rant. I blamed it all on him and not on me…and that’s got to be progress, right?

Minion
      Participant

That’s definitely good progress. You wouldn’t want to make yourself upset. It is sad that these men are unable to realise that they would be much happier if they behaved kindly. I definitely recognise the fact that we are much happier & more comfortable at friends’ houses. I hope one day that we will feel like that in our own home but meanwhile we should keep going out!

Minion
      Participant

I meant you wouldn’t be upset if he wasn’t there, therefore it is his fault not yours.

Janedoeissad
      Participant

I knew what you meant Minion (brilliant username by the way). No worries.

I sort of feel now that I am keeping myself unhappy by staying if that makes sense? A wise person once told me that leaving will cause upset but that it is usually short lived then normality resumes. Since we have no children and are not married, I genuinely feel that is the case. There will be a time of great stress but s happy life after that makes it totally worth while.

I’m feeling brave today though, lets see what tomorrow brings!

Minion
      Participant

Feeling brave is good. Me too and I’ve booked an appointment to go and look at a house. Why don’t you try that too? I’m taking baby steps and trying not to be scared by the bigger picture. Just taking a break for a few months to work on our relationship (but really see how I feel).

Janedoeissad
      Participant

I’m considering my options when it comes to housing. I’m not sure I could cope financially with the mortgage here and rent at another place. And there is no way my partner could afford the mortgage payments alone.

I think I’m going big or staying put. I think if I left it would be for good. The thought of how he would be if I decided to go back makes me feel ill. He’d be a nightmare.

The only things stopping me going are practicalities and the fear of the fall out after. I can’t get myself to tell him I’m unhappy. He thinks all is rosey. He’s in for a shock when I go. I feel bad about that but his moods and responses to things are so extreme sometimes. I never feel I can tell him anything.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content