Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I have been suffering from emotional manipulation and after ending the relationship, harassment and stalking. Never physically violent but the recent behaviours have been so frightening nonetheless. I am wondering how and if I will ever feel safe again? I used to be so confident to go out alone and be alone at home. Now I feel constantly anxious.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello Survivingnotthriving,

I’m sorry to hear that the relationship has effected your general feeling of safety, this is unfortunately so common after experiencing a trauma like domestic abuse. It is possible to develop symptoms of PTSD or other trauma related symptoms from psychological and emotional abuse.

There are many methods and options to try to manage this, I’m sure other users will be happy to share their self-coping strategies, but it may also be a good idea to access some professional support.

Have you ever spoken to the GP about your experience and your anxiety? They may be able to diagnose any potentially related mental or physical health issues, or refer you for some counselling on the NHS.

You may also like to consider private counselling, talking through your experience and how it has left you feeling, could be a really good place to start.

The Counselling Directory is a great resource for finding local professionals with experience in relevant fields: https://www.counselling-directory.org.uk/

Take care and keep posting,
      Lisa

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content