Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Because it happened years ago, I wonder if I will ever see justice for what my ex did?
      I suffered various forms of abuse from my ex, at a time when the widely-accepted image of domestic abuse was somewhat limited. I certainly didn’t recognise it as abuse at first. For a long time, I didn’t even say anything to friends or relatives, much less report his actions to the police…even when I was physically assaulted, which is hard to comprehend when I look back. So, there was never any evidence or reports collected. After a long time I finally broke free from him and after receiving help and support recently, I’ve reported him to the police who have taken the matter seriously. At the moment I haven’t asked to pursue charges as I suspect there just may not be enough evidence. I try to remain positive about the future, but the knowledge that my abuser has not faced any consequences for his actions (and may never do so) just feels very wrong.

KIP.
      Participant

We minimise abuse. I’d let the police do their job and go find the evidence you need. He may even admit it because these men are entitled. If it’s justice through the courts you want then give it your all x

Thank you for your comment KIP, I’ll give it some serious thought. You’re right, we do minimise the abuse and that’s what I did for a long time.

On a positive note I’ve recently met with other DA survivors whose situations are ongoing or very recent and without exception they are all better informed, they have sought help straightaway, and they are actively collecting evidence. It’s good to see things are starting to improve in terms of awareness and support, and I’m hopeful that all of these women will see some sort of justice. Who knows, maybe one day I will too! x

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content