Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      backtome
      Participant

Hi all.

My young daughter and me are starting a course imminently called (Detail removed by moderator) that is centred around Domestic Abuse. My little girl sees her Dad every week and speaks to him on video call. I’m worried what the repercussions will be if and when she says something to him about the course. I’m not going to tell her not to tell him as I feel like it’s wrong to encourage her to keep secrets but I don’t know what his reaction will be. I still have some contact with him in relation to our child and he is always trying to force more contact between us (in his head we are still going to get back together and he hasn’t let go) so I think this will be a shock to him.

maddog
      Participant

I understand what you mean about secrets. It is easier to describe what you are doing as meeting up with good people who are here to help. If your daughter is young, she will be in a room with other children doing stuff and playing while you drink coffee and chat. Please don’t mention the name of the course to your child or her father or on here!!! The domestic abuse workers will help you find ways to talk to your child about what’s going on in age-appropriate ways. What you do with your time is none of his business! Well done!

backtome
      Participant

Thanks maddog, I’m hoping she may just see it as another parenting course as he knows we’ve been on one of those. x

maddog
      Participant

It IS another parenting course really, isn’t it. You are being truthful if you tell her as much. You do not need to go into detail of the specifics. If you are going in order to learn with other mothers about your situation, how to cope better with it in relation to the children, it is a parenting course.

backtome
      Participant

That’s a good way of looking at it thank you. x

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content