Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Based on a true story. But it’s all there with the covert abuse and manipulation.

KIP.
      Participant

Yep, it’s was a great depiction. Big Little Lies is the other story line that is great at depicting abuse. Nicole Kidman character is great x

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ahh, will have to watch that one. I love Nicole as a character actress.

KIP.
      Participant

There’s some good podcasts about Dirty John and some good youtube interviews with the victim. She now advocates for abused women x

Anonymous
      Inactive

Awesome KIP! I was watching Shrapnel episode 4, season 1 and it’s such a Great depiction of what our mothers can do to us because they, sorry to say but, they actually are jealous of their daughters and don’t really want them to be happy because for whatever reason or ignorance or whatever, they don’t want it so they sabotage us. Happened to me, omg. Profusely. I had to just get away from her because of it, was horrible. She actually wanted to fry me for what she did or did not do. I was her scapegoat. When I finally walked away full of holes, she knew I saw her and she never contacted me again. Not to see how I was, nothing. I didn’t leave in an angry state at all but she knew the gig was up. She couldn’t stab me anymore.

So good episode to see and see if it applies. I soooo know that character as the mom, through and through. It’s hard to see, really is. But if we are going to move on and heal and if this has happened to us, we have to see it. We are very affected by our mothers as they are our role models as females so they greatly affect us. It produces much anger in me to even watch this because I had two of them. A stepmother who aided in my abuse with my father and then my biological mother I tried to know and love in my (detail removed by moderator). Neither worked out for me.

WE……..did not deserve this and we have to parent ourselves now, mother ourselves. Couldn’t pick who I was born to but I can pick my family. Jealousy from a woman to a woman whether mother to daughter or otherwise is really quite lethal. It strikes us at our core and prolly wounds us worse than any other wound I could think of. They are supposed to protect us, not hurt us.

It’s utterly sad that they suffered as well in their lives and I so know that, seen it, am very sympathetic towards it but when they are in such a state that all they want to do is hurt someone who is “like them” and in their minds doesn’t deserve what they didn’t have then, I have to say – that person – is not a mother.

They are a harpie. Their decision. They made it and I will separate from it and we all should.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

I found it last year, watched the real life documentary about it too, where they interviewed the police and other victims of his crimes. What a piece of work….

Escapee
      Participant

Is it safe to watch or is it likely to hit those ol’ triggers??

Iwantmeback
        Participant

Hi @Escapee, I think it’s individual how it affects you. I remember watching it thinking how can she not see through him. I also didn’t think she was the best actress fir the part, but that’s just my opinion

Rubymurray
      Participant

ive seen big little lies, can i watch any of the others on laptop or sky? dont have netflix – im always up for watching these kind of helpful and informative things, i have difficulty in reading so much, fatigue tiredness etc

thanks

Anonymous
      Inactive

I don’t know Ruby. Will look around for you.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Take a look at the Books List on here. There are some vids there.

Rubymurray
      Participant

will do thanks 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wow, having a hard time watching this. The wife to John is driving me insane. But she is alot like her mother so I do understand. The actress is the typical southern callie bling bling lady. Very superficial mentality but this was a bit much for me to inhale to be honest. Most of those ladies would actually want to protect their assets after so many attacks against all that. Then again, there are some who will not do that.

But after watching her mother, if it’s a semi-accurate portrayal and it probably is because I Sooo know people like her…….then all this was deeply embedded into her daughter from a young age. Imprinted. That’s how generational curses or whatever get started. Passed down from generation to generation. It’s not voodoo, it’s learning from seeing and learning from being hurt by it all. And of course her mother is going to say after they learned who he was the first time, “I knew something was wrong”!!! Seriously lady! Let’s smoke what you are smoking so we can think like you do. You led your daughter right to the slaughter and believed in him every step of the way. Birds of a feather Mommie Dearest and John.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content